Wednesday 25 May 2016

A Short History of Slavery/ Blue Pigment

I started to experiment with Blue spray paint as blue was an expensive pigment back in the days, so I therefore experimented with calico and spray paint to create an apron this is because Slavery is something extremely brutal that happened to a lot of people around the world. i read a book called      " A Short History of Slavery" this book helped me with my knowledge and understanding as I was not born around the 1619's. I took a content of the book that I liked and that gave me a vibe and highlighted the areas I was mostly shocked upon. This helped me create design developments out of blue pigment and use a pair of scissors to create a strong torn effect. Back in the days, around 1619's blue was a very expensive pigment that only the wealthy white's could afford, anyone who wore blue you would immediately know that they are rich and have some sort of power that the poor black people did not.  I decided to reverse how things was and use the colour blue to create a feeling and to show my development as Slavery is a key content that a lot of the public is not aware off.  after I started to experiment with Knit, as thats a cheap material that was also worn back in the days and combined spray paint within it to create texture and compassion.





 I started to record a few people at my university to get a better understanding of what they think Slavery is and if they think, if its still continuing in this generation. I got some really interesting answers as its helped me with my development thoughts and ideas to picture aspects in the way they see it.