Monday 25 April 2016

Final Major Project: Why is the colours I am looking at Blue and Red?

Blue and Red

I have a true understanding of Slavery and how it was back in the days against the white and the black. I experimented and researched my ideas and developed my knowledge. back in the days around the 1619's black people did not have no clothes, they were chained, only had some clothing that would cover their private areas. They did not have the same right as the white and did not have the same wealth or the same respect. Black people was seen as nothing, they were seen as servants, cleaners and was bullied to do many duties, this made it hard for them as they were not allowed to have the right to see their families, children and do what they loved or what they wanted.
The colour blue was a very expensive pigment that only the rich could afford wore this give them stability and ownership within their society because they had money, power and was above the black people. I want to reverse the roles of how slavery was looked at within clothing by putting them in bright colour clothing such as blue to represent their hard work.
Another bright colour that was warn a lot was the colour red this was because it not only showed that they had stability but they had much more than what the black would never have. During my final major project I am going to show how the black and white should be treated as a whole and how wealth and poverty should not have anything to do with power.
My first two pieces is bright and bold, it shows how I have taken my own knowledge and transferred the bright colours such as red and blue that the black couldn't afford and make garments that slaves would of represented this would be displayed on black models to show that we are all ONE.
I started to use black bin bags for the bodice of my garment and bright red fabric for the bottom of the suit to represent the knowledge I have based on my colours that only certains could wear or afford.
My second piece is blue, bold and dusty creates texture, I used knit for embellishment and attached it on specific areas, this was because knit is a cheap material just like plastic. I therefore thought this worked well with my idea as its affordable and something you would slaves wear, I started to rip the edges of the apron to create a sense of feeling.

Furthermore I will lead my ideas to create a larger  collection of garments for my final grading of my final major project.

No comments:

Post a Comment