Tuesday 26 April 2016

Final Major Project: Stand Work

I started of by doing stand work and experimenting with plastic, I realised that using plastic is a difficult way to experiment however i gave it a try and played around with layering, pinning and gathering plastic to create an object. I started to add more plastic and take out certain pieces that did not work. I made a journal of this so I can see my stand work and process. Some aspects worked and some aspects did not. This was a way for me to work in a different way if things did not work out. As a Designer I have to show my ability of working with different media and being able to handle different aspects at the same time. Working with plastic is very difficult as its a very light and delicate material that can cause to rip if things are not taking proper care towards.
I started to create shapes and show whats in my mind on stand, I cut, torn and scrunched up pieces of plastic to help me develop my ideas even further. From this I started to continue designing on photoshop with what I took pictures off and started to embrace what I created by scaling areas that needed to be larger. As a Designer I thought about how it would be warn if a customer was going to purchase it and how it would feel. i have to think about my customer service to make my idea work if it turned into a garment in reality. 
I will develop my idea even further by creating an illusion for the viewers by combining different elements into one such as using fabric, paint, coloured paper,wire, thread or wool. Back to when I started designing on photoshop, it made me see my idea visually in terms of how it would look if a customer warn it as it made me think of the fact that its plastic and its a very light material that can rip apart so how can I make it secure and long lasting for my customer.
I think stand work is an important step for a designer because its like when you draw you get all your ideas down just like when your doing stand work. You are making it 3D like showing your samples and if customers would like it.
I need to relate my stand work to my research and concept so I can develop it by matching it to my theme and seeing what else I can do to make it conceptual and give my stand work a vibe and a feeling when the viewers analysis it. This may be the way slaves was treated and give viewers a feel of what it was like during the 1619’s around the world when slavery happened.


No comments:

Post a Comment