Friday 19 February 2016

Politic: Race and Culture

Politic:


I decided to focus on the aspect of Race and Culture, ‘respecting other peoples skin colours and background’ I was influenced by the book that I read called “The Dress maker of Khair Khana” the quote from the book ‘That is the story I set out to tell. And those are the questions I set out to answer’ influenced me to choose countries such as Africa, Afghanistan, China and Pakistan, the reason I chose these countries was because I wanted to focus on poverty and how it can create an illusion of different races and the key fact that they are all going through poverty so thats one of the reasons why I decided to focus on race and culture.  I started of by taking pictures of different races and created a profile of different cultures for my research. I came up with quotation that influenced me such as ‘Just because im black does not mean I will hurt you’ ‘I am muslim and im not afraid to say it’ ‘Help me’ ‘Control your emotions and respect other feelings’ ‘ you and I can be a team’  these quotes inspired me to come up with a final outcome that relates to all the countries I researched about. 



I started to design waistcoats as that was something I knew connected to all the countries I researched about, therefore I continued designing and started to do quick photoshop collections made out of PVC and african pattern. I done stand work to understand shape and colour and this pushed me to create a waistcoat out of calico to demonstrate my ability of pattern cutting and idea. I decided to use brown african pattern to make one side of my waistcoat and i used light brown for the other side of the waistcoat. I used PVC to create a top panel this was because I am trying to make others aware of their actions as its important to respect other races and culture. I made this statement by printing one of my quotation and placed it on the PVC panel ‘You and I can be a team’  I created a pocket on the right hand side that is not openable but that has blue and gold round buttons to create an illusion of embroidery. 


No comments:

Post a Comment